Thursday, February 8, 2007

The Velvet Smash

As I was talking about the 8800 Launch Event, I started thinking back to the 8700 Launch Event and the events of that evening, specifically the open bar that evening.

The event was held at Terra, an event venue for hire in a big warehouse-y space. Along with the live Jazz and the presentations by Jim Balsillie and some Cingular bigwigs, they had a soup bar (different soups in shot glasses), a mashed potato bar (different types of mashed potato and toppings), and an open bar (you get the picture).

As the night waned and people started to drop out, so did the selection at the bar. They had been pouring a specialty cocktail for the event, the name of which escapes me but the cloying sweet mediocrity haunts me to this day, but I was ready for something different. I approached what I thought would be the most flexible bartender and asked to see what was left. From those humble beginnings, a mixed drink arose.

The Velvet Smash

2 Measures Gin
1Splash Triple Sec
1 Measure Orange Juice
1 Measure Cranberry Juice

Combine and shake over ice. Pour into a large martini glass. Add some soda water for sparkle.

It's actually pretty good.

I was able to convince a few people to wander over to the bar and ask for it by name. Later that night at the Tonga Room I was able, with the assistance of a business card on which I had written the recipe and a lot of hand waving, to order another few rounds of the new drink du jour for my table and for random passers by. I received no complaints (as far as I remember).

No comments: